Monday, December 29, 2008

..........Friendship is my heart




Well... there is this funny thing that happens as you get older, you grow up (at least some people do).


As I "grow up" I have learned many things... sometimes... things that I wish I didn't have to learn, others that I can't believe I went this long without realizing.


I have learned that friendships take work. When I was younger, I was under the impression that if someone was my friend, I would not ever get mad at them and vice versa. That I wouldn't have to do anything other than be friends in order to have a good relationship. WRONG!


Just as newlyweds are under the impression that the love will just come... I was under the impression for way too long that friendships did not take work.





Recently I realized that just like any other relationship, friendship takes a bit of work. I love my friends with all of my heart, and they are such an amazing addition to my life. I figured out that friendship isn't about always being friends.


It's about loving these friends through the fun times, the crazy times, the hard times, and the trying times.
It's' about calling and talking just because you feel like it... even if you don't have the time... and even if you have absolutely nothing of importance to say (which is usually the case with me).

It's funny,... now that I have moved back home, I swear I think my friendship with one amazing friend (code shaft, lol)... has grown stronger because we are both making an attempt to call and chat whenever possible. I think it has helped me keep my sanity (shut up Sarah, I WAS sane at one time...stop laughing) now that I am back with my parents. Even though I miss her terribly, I think we talk more now than we had for awhile. We have grown so much closer, and I always enjoy making her laugh... we both seem to be really good at making the other laugh...especially when we aren't trying. Another incident of uncontrollable cackling....


Friends love you for who you are, not who you pretend to be, what you can give them, or how often you get to see them. I am blessed to have a select few "best" friends, whom I would not trade for all of the fake friends & aquaintences in the world. These friends know my heart, and I know theirs... and they know who they are.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

aww....
I love ya too! :) You are so sweet. I don't know what I would do without you as a friend, really, I don't.

I really hope to see you within the next week or so. I still have your gift(s), after all! lol

I miss you to, but I agree that we are talking more now than we were for awhile... absence makes the heart grow fonder? Now this is seeming like a love story. :P

A Lui said...

It is great to have that support outside the family just to feel that balance. Real friends are truly hard to find & even harder to keep with knowing something new about them everyday! May I hope to add you to my real friends list, which will make you either #5 or #6...lol! Take care...until next time :)