Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The guardian


Happy Wednesday everyone!


I want to tell you a little story about how I was asked the most important question of my life.


I spent a ton of extra time with my girls this summer, and I hope to share with you our many adventures. And since these precious momemts are always slipping through my fingers, I tried to capture every minute while I could.


One Sunday afternoon my aunt called me into the sunroom to talk to me. I was a bit nervous because she doesn't usually do that...so naturally I thought I was in for some kind of big future talk. Boy did I hit the nail on the head, she wanted to talk the future alright. That Sunday, she asked me if I would be willing to be the legal guardian of her daughters (my Goddaughters) Madison and Emma, should anything ever happen to their primary caregivers. She said she waited until I had plenty of time around them again to see all sides, and how I handled them. After observing us together, she said that there was no doubt in her mind that I was the right choice. Not only did she feel that I was the best person, but I'm also who the girls want to be with if they can't have their "normal". I don't ever want to have to do that, but if I did, I would become their new "normal". I would be their rock, and they would be my light. How crazy amazing is that!?!?


While I wiped away the tears that came in response to this incredible question, and we began getting into details about it, I realized that we hadn't heard a peep out of the girls for awhile. Quiet is never a good sign when there are non sleeping children in the home. Long story short, I found Emma handcuffed to the toilet at the hands of her big sister. I, of course, took a picture of it.




After my little discovery, aunt Brenda asked if I was still sure. I told her that I would be proud, honored, and humbled to be that safety net for her. than knowing the girls would be in my care if anything happened to her. I certainly hope that the day never comes, but knowing that someone trusts me and loves me so much that they would entrust their children to my care, now that is incredible.



Until next time... a little note to my girls...


In the event that the day ever comes, and I pray to God that it never does... know this, sweet girls.


I have prayed for you since the moment you became an unspoken desire in your mothers heart. I have loved you since that desire became a dream come true for us all. I have rejoiced with each milestone, wept for every boo boo and broken heart, laughed at every silly moment, kept every secret, answered every heartfelt question, danced to the music you bring to my life, and I would miss you even if I never met you. I will always be there. I might be miles away from your house, but I will never be miles apart from your heart. I'll be your rock, as you have always been my light. I love you!!


Aunt Cat


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Awww! Makin' me cry!
This is very touching, and I agree that you would be awesome, if that time ever came).